History of the Sacred Heart Centre

Our original parish church building in Morriston was a small metal shed on Foundry Road. It is still there near McDonalds. Once the first phase of the present church was built in 1954, the former church became the parish hall. This was quite some distance from the church, and it continued in use until 1984, when the current Sacred Heart Centre was opened. The Sacred Heart Centre was renewed from the former Soar Chapel, which had closed in 1981, and was bought by Sacred Heart Parish.

The building was completed in 1907, and was one of many chapels built in the early 20th Century during the ‘Baptist revival’. The original proposed designs were published in the press at the time, and an artists impression showed two gothic spires atop the towers at each side of the facade. These were (perhaps thankfully!) not constructed, but nonetheless the resulting building was made of strong materials of the time – mature oak and pitch pine throughout. A rare feature of the gallery is the swooping balustrades and benching in front of the organ, of which only a small number of examples exist.

The present organ was installed in 1912, and judging but the Broadwood piano index, the piano in the main hall might also have arrived at the same time (still original strings and tuned to concert pitch to match the organ).

Known for being ‘a good acoustic’ amongst older folk in the town, the restored building has over the years served the parish well as a parish hall, place of meeting as well as use by a wide range of community groups and choirs in the town. It is often used for concerts, as it is a great place for singing, including use by the Parish Choir. The organ, rebuilt by Nicholson & Co in 1986 has many uses, for teaching and inspiring new organists in our parish, supporting liturgical events and concerts performed by local choirs, as well as organ recitals.

More information and history to follow!